Okay so, the thing is… money is like, very confusing. When I graduated college, I was offered a $32k salary and I thought I had MADE IT, FAM. I was convinced that we would be living the high life on my $2000/month.
Fast forward about 3 minutes when I realized that $2000/month is not as much as I thought it is (although still significantly more than most of the world enjoys). Then fast forward a few more years and here we are with 2 kids, a house, car payments, doctors bills, schooltutionkidsclothesextracurricularscarproblemsdatenightsvacations…. just a lot of stuff. It is SO EASY to lose track. And that’s exactly what we did our first 5 years of marriage. It’s not that weren’t looking at our money… we were just watching it go in and go right back out. We weren’t tracking where it was going; we just knew it was going somewhere and it wasn’t our savings account.
After moving to Georgia, Mike found a great job and we started having more regular paychecks come in. Our money started to level out a bit. We felt comfortable again. And yet, at the end of the month we were still looking at each other like “have you seen the rest of our money?”. Because despite the increase in blessings, there was no increase in accountability. And so, we made 2019 the year that we got our shit together and started being good stewards of the monetary blessings we have been given.
I have been working on a fool proof spreadsheet now for about 6 months, and I think I’ve finally come to the point where I can confidently share it and believe that it will bless other families the way it’s blessed ours.
I have a few rules for you to follow before you download my spreadsheet. Okay maybe not rules, but definitely guidelines.
- I want you to realize that no matter how much money you feel like you have or don’t have, you can have genuine freedom within your family’s budget.
- Your worth, your abilities, and your value has absolutely nothing to do with the numbers you are going to punch into this spreadsheet.
- This should be a FAMILY discussion. Whatever that looks like for you. Anyone with access to your money should be part of this conversation. You cannot budget a family without the family’s involvement. I’ve been there. It’s ugly. Don’t do it.
- Following this spreadsheet is such a big step, and you should be proud of yourself for stepping up and taking control of your finances. It is incredible how many people choose not to do what you are doing.
- I like you. and you have a cute butt.
So, if you’re ready to dive in- you can click on the buttons below and download the Dandelion Puff Budget for Dummies. I will also include a link for a step by step tutorial on how to fill out your customized budget. From there, it’s up to you to keep track of it! HAPPY TRACKING!